18 July 2009

Wanted 1960s Photos Mahosot Hospital Vientiane Laos

To all:

During our OB days in Vientiane in the 1960s, team members did work together with some Mahosot personnel. I remember that we did in-service training for their nurses. If any of you have photos you can email to Kathryn, please email together with the necessary info -- dates, occasion, etc.

During our "Return To Laos" trip November 2008, our group dropped by Mahosot on November 15 and presented to hospital directors a Mekong Circle donation of a larynoscope set (from Rusty Ramons) and a digital pressure monitor (from Fely Navera).

We first met Kathyryn at the Second International Lao Studies Conference in Tempe, Arizona in 2007. She joined our riverboat cruise during our "Return To Laos" trip in November 2008. She is a Senior Program Manager of the Development Cooperation Section at the Australian Embassy in Vientiane. She pak pasa Lao keng lai.


======================================


-----Original Message-----
From: Karen Olness
To: Kathryn Sweet, Pete Fuentecilla, Penelope Flores
Sent: Mon, Jul 13, 2009 11:22 pm
Subject: Re: Mahosoth Hospital is marking its 100th year!


Dear Kathryn,

I have photos from the Mahosot, taken in the sixties. I just need to dig into our storeroom and find them. We are planning to visit Laos in October. I will try to find some and bring them along.
Some are in slide form.

Hakon and I also said that we would send a batch of our old Laos photos/slides to the University of Wisconsin archives i.e. website with Laos photos. We have not yet done it. Inasmuch as we are not getting younger, we really must attack our store room.

Warm regards,

Karen


>>> <<<


At 08:53 PM 7/12/2009, kathryn sweet wrote:
Dear Pete, Penelope and Karen

Hope this finds you well.

Mahosoth Hospital in Vientiane is marking its 100th anniversary next year (2010) and staff are searching for any old photos to form part of an exhibition of how the hospital has developed over the years. I know that OB focused its attention on Setthathirath Hospital in Vientiane, but wonder whether any of you may have some old photos of Mahosoth staff and/or buildings tucked away?

Regards

Kathryn

PS: I have submitted my research proposal, and am now waiting for answers from a few universities.

>>> <<<

From: Pete fuentecilla
To: Kathryn Sweet
Cc: Karen Olness, Penelope Flores
Sent: Friday, 6 February, 2009 6:19:52 PM
Subject: Re: OB visit to Laos, 2008

Hi Kathy,
If you do get an ok on your proposal, one primary source for your research is Dr. Karen Olness. Her NGO, Health Frontiers, which has an office in Vientiane, has been running a medical residency training program in Laos, for more than a decade now. She also oversaw the OB program in the 70s. I met with her and her husband Hakon at the last two international conferences on Lao Studies. Best wishes on the proposal.
Pete
OB doctors and nurses in the U.S. and the Philippines maybe able to tell you what it was like to practice medicine in Laos in the 1960s to mid-70s. I have some addresses. I am sure you have also read Dr. Charles Weldon's "Tragedy in Paradise."


-----Original Message-----
From: kathryn sweet
To: Penny Flores, Pete Fuentecilla
Sent: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 8:17 pm
Subject: OB visit to Laos, 2008


Dear Penelope and Pete



My apologies for the delay in contacting both of you.



It was my good fortune to meet you and the OB group in Vientiane in late 2008,

and I really enjoyed hearing more of your wonderful stories of working in Laos

during the dinner cruise.



I have copies of both your books, "Goodbye Vientiane" and "Filipinos in Laos",

which I am drawing on as I prepare a research proposal on the history of

medicine in Laos. I will advise you of which university I end up at, and the

direction my research finally takes.



Best wishes for 2009



Kathryn


No comments:

Post a Comment